12 Christmas Dangers For Your Pets
Dec 21st, 2014 by Autumn Sunshine
Don’t forget to watch out for things that could harm your pet over the holidays!
Chocolate, bones and nuts, can be toxic or even fatal to pets.
1. Chocolate is toxic to all animals and in particular small dogs. It can cause vomiting, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures.Â Chocolate contains caffeine and methylxanthines; the darker the chocolate the more toxic. It is interesting that darker chocolate is BETTER for us humans and you can make your own healthy chocolate.
2. Unbaked Bread Dough, if eaten by your pet, can expand in the stomach causing a bellyache. The yeast creates alcohol can cause seizures and respiratory failure.
3. Bones, especially from poultry and fat trimmings, either cooked or uncooked, are dangerous for dogs. A dog can choke on bones which can splinter and cause lacerations in your dog’s digestive system.
4. Spices such as nutmeg can cause seizures and even death. Sage can cause vomiting.
5. Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts can cause seizures, lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle control. Dogs can experience an elevated heart rate that can lead to death. Read how good mold free walnuts can be so very healthy for us humans.
6. Coffee full of caffeine can create seizures, abnormal heart rhythm and death in pets. All caffeinated drinks can have the same effect.
7. Fruitcake filled raisins and currants and yeast cam sometimes prove quite dangerous for your cats and dogs. Small amounts of these dried fruits can make dogs sick and larger amounts can cause kidney failure.
8. Onions and garlic in any form can damage red blood cells in pets leading to anemia.
Some holiday plants are poisonous and decorations can cause ill health.
9. Holly can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea and depression.
10. Mistletoe can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea, erratic behavior, hallucinations and even death when ingested. Mistletoe kissing can be beneficial to your health, but pets just eat it.
11. Tinsel, although not toxic, if it is consumed it be fatal as it twists and bunches inside your pet’s intestines. Cats find it very attractive.
12. Strands of Lights are shocking when a pet bites into one. That one bite has been known to cause seizures and a build-up of fluid in their lungs.
It is Important That We Take Care Of Our Pet Friends.
In their innocence our pets can easily eat some of the above. Dogs like to copy us and fit in with whatever we are doing. Cats are simply very curious and will try anything. These traits of cats and dogs are some of the reasons why we love them so much. So let’s take care of them this Christmas with healthy treats just for them.